The Old Blockhouse Site
In 1963, the graves of twenty-five prehistoric Glacial Kame
Indians and six white settlers were discovered near the
blockhouse site. Seventeen War of 1812 veterans and eight
others were also buried there. These bodies were
subsequently removed and reinterred at Green Camp
Cemetery. An abandoned right-of-way of the Erie Railroad,
Dayton line, also passes through the area. Prairie grasses
that once dominated parts of Marion County can still be
found in the vicinity.
Erected 1999 by The Marion County Historical Society The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 8- 51.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 32.912′ N, 83° 11.487′ W. Marker is near Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Green Camp (approx. 1½ miles away); Marion Steam Shovel (approx. 3.8 miles away); Harding Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Jacob's Well (approx. 4.1 miles away); Norman Mattoon Thomas (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Underground Railroad / The Marion County Trial of Bill Anderson (approx. 4.3 miles away); Marion County Courthouse (approx. 4.3 miles away); Home of Warren G. Harding (was approx. 4½ miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Categories. • Anthropology • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 9, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.