Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Granville in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

An Early Center of Education / Educating Young Women

 
 
An Early Center of Education Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 11, 2016
1. An Early Center of Education Marker
Inscription. Side A
An Early Center of Education
Just three weeks after reaching Granville, pioneer villagers decided on December 9, 1805 to build a log cabin where eighty children would attend school. By 1820, public school classes were being held in a three-story brick building. When rail lines and the National Road bypassed the village, dreams of becoming an industrial and commercial center were dashed. Educational institutions, however, thrived and by the Civil War Granville's citizens had organized the following: the Granville Literary and Theological Institution, later called Granville College and then renamed Denison University; the Granville Female Seminary, the Granville Episcopal Female Seminary, the Young Ladies' Institute, the Granville Female Academy, and the Granville Male Academy. As Granville enters its third century, educational excellence continues to attract students to the community's schools.

Side B
Educating Young Women
Granville's citizens were early advocates of advanced education for women. By 1827, thirty young ladies attended a "Select School." The Granville Congregational Church, today's Presbyterian Church, formalized these classes and established the Granville Female Academy in 1833—first in the Old Academy Building and in 1837 on East Broadway. On this
Educating Young Women Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 11, 2016
2. Educating Young Women Marker
site in 1832, Charles Sawyer founded the Granville Female Seminary, a Baptist institution. The Episcopal Female Seminary purchased and used the buildings for its school from 1838 to 1861. Marsena Stone then purchased this site in 1861 for the Young Ladies' Institute, which had begun in 1859 in the Baptist church. Stone's successor was Daniel Shepardson and when he retired in 1888, the institution was renamed Shepardson College. In 1900, Shepardson College consolidated with Denison University.
 
Erected 2009 by Granville Historical Society, Denison University, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 25-45.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 4.098′ N, 82° 31.461′ W. Marker is in Granville, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is on West Broadway 0.1 miles east of North Plum Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granville OH 43023, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Elias Gilman House / The Wee White House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Founding of Granville, The Licking Company / The Granville Site "The most eligible part"
An Early Center of Education Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 11, 2016
3. An Early Center of Education Marker
(approx. mile away); Granville Opera House (approx. mile away); Bolen Memorial Park (approx. mile away); The Granville Academy / The Anti-Slavery Movement (approx. mile away); Bank of the Alexandrian Society (approx. mile away); Old Colony Burying Ground, 1805 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Robbins Hunter Museum Avery-Downer House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granville.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
Educating Young Women Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 11, 2016
4. Educating Young Women Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 12, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement