Taylor in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Marker 1 (in front of the Town Hall)
In 1847 Taylor became an independent township named after General Zachary Taylor who later became president. Taylor's first Township Hall was built in 1886 and housed the services of the Township Board, Supervisor, Treasurer and Clerk. Here citizens could pay their taxes and register to vote. It served the township until 1958 when a larger Hall was built. On May 13, 1968, Taylor officially became a City. This near replica of Taylor's first Town Hall was constructed by the Taylor Schools Building Trades class of 1990-91. Architectural services donated by Yops and Wilkie.
Marker 2 (on west wall of Town Hall)
The following students along with Robert Harple, Instructor, were responsible for the construction of this near replica of Taylor's first Town Hall: David Beard, Thomas Borden, Michael Clipper, Ronald Cosman, James David, E. Michael Donathan, Edward Dupie, Leonard Finney, Terrance Hawthorne, Scott Kincaide, James Langford, Raymond Machnik, Gerald Mishloney, Tracy Murray, Thorney Pattenaude, Shawn Potter, Edward Tamlin, Steven Sherrill and Harold Woods.
Location. 42° 12.965′ N, 83° 15.16′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from Pardee Road 0.3 miles north of Northline Road. Touch for map. The town hall and marker are located with the historical buildings at the southwest corner of Heritage Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12111 Pardee Road, Taylor MI 48180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Log Cabin (a few steps from this marker); West Mound Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Coan Lake (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sell/Schonsheck House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Greenwald Herkimer House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Taylor Heritage School (about 500 feet away); Hand Train Station (about 600 feet away); Fitz's Caboose (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Also see . . . Township Hall. Link to the town hall on City of Taylor's website. (Submitted on May 25, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 13, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.