Village of Arcadia /The Arcadia Heritage
Village of Arcadia
side A Settled in 1833, Arcadia was one of the last permanent villages to be established in eastern Hancock County. Pioneers Ambrose, David, and Ephriam Peters laid out the farming village on the south edge of "Wild Cat Thicket." They found the resident Wyandot Indians friendly and helpful. Arcadia was incorporated in 1859. Soon after, the Lake Erie & Western, and the New York Chicago & St. Louis railroads entered the village.
The Arcadia Heritage
1830s Methodist Episcopal Society established
1833 First log schoolhouse
1855 135 lots laid out
1859 Arcadia incorporated
1863 Four physicians in practice
1872 Lutheran church built
1880s Two hotels, a drug store, a broom factory, and a handle factory in business
1889 Coal-gas plant for heat and light
1900s Reeves Park located on east edge of town
1916 Electric plant
Erected 1985 by Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County Arcadia Lions Club Hancock Park District The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 13- 32.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 6.543′ N,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Risdon Square (approx. 6.3 miles away); Fostoria, Ohio (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Village of Van Buren (approx. 7.2 miles away); Perry Center (approx. 7.3 miles away); Riverside Park / Old Mill Stream (approx. 7.6 miles away); Hull's Army (approx. 7.6 miles away); Oesterlen Well Site / Old Mill Stream Fairgrounds (approx. 7.8 miles away); Findlay College (approx. 7.9 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 19, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.