Sunbury in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Famous Sunbury “Masonic” Oak
Northeast of this spot stood the famous Sunbury Oak of early Colonial Masonic legend. The tree is said to have been of tremendous size and provided an ideal place for safe, comfortable campsites.
The legend of the Sunbury "Masonic" Oak is based on a tradition that has been passed down for generations from the earliest days of the Colony of Georgia. There is a strong belief that Georgia's first Masonic meeting was held under the protective branches of the great oak on February 21, 1734. It is believed that General James Edward Oglethorpe, himself, presided over the meeting, thus introducing freemasonry to Georgia. The lodge which traces its beginning to that important meeting was "The Lodge at Savannah in ye province of Georgia" now known as Solomon's Lodge No. 1, F. & A.M., the oldest continuously operating English constituted lodge in the western hemisphere.
Today the Lodge has in its possession a gavel made from the wood of the tree, which was given to it by the family of Sheftall in 1859. Although the original Sunbury Oak no longer exists, it retains a special place in the Masonic lore of Georgia.
To commemorate and maintain the tradition of the original meeting site of Solomon's Lodge No. 1, we have this day, February 24, 1990, planted another live oak, the state tree of Georgia.
[List of Names]
Acacia Lodge No. 452
Ancient Landmark Lodge No. 231
Frank F. Baker Lodge No. 46
Clinton Lodge No. 54
Roger Lacey Lodge No. 722
Landrum Lodge No. 48
Solomon's Lodge No. 1
Thunderbolt Lodge No. 693
Richard T. Turner Lodge No. 116
Zerubbabel Lodge No. 15
Solomon's Lodge No. 1, F. & A.M. Savannah, Georgia
Solomon's Lodge No. 1, F. & A.M. was organized as a Masonic Lodge on February 21, 1734. Masonic tradition holds that its first worshipful master was General James Edward Oglethorpe, English soldier, statesman, humanitarian, and founder of Georgia, who raised the flag of England at Savannah on February 12, 1733.
Solomon's Lodge was chartered by the Grand Lodge of England in 1735, making it the second chartered lodge in the Americas, In 1786, the Independent Grand Lodge of Georgia, F. & A.M. was created and proclaimed by concerted action of Solomon's Lodge and the one other lodge then existing in the State. Solomon's Lodge No. 1 was chartered as the first lodge of Georgia.
From its beginning in 1734 Brethren of Solomon's Lodge have served with distinction
Solomon's Lodge No. 1, F. & A.M., on of Savannah's greatest historical institutions is honored and revered by the Freemasons of this state as the Mother Lodge of Georgia, Free and Accepting Masons.
Dedicated with Masonic ceremonies February 24, 1990, commemorating the 256th anniversary of the first Masonic meeting in Georgia and the founding of Solomon's Lodge No. 1, F. & A.M.
William Wright Daniel,
Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons in Georgia.
Steven Jackson Myhre,
Worshipful Master of Solomon's Lodge No. 1, F. & A.M. of Savannah, Georgia.
Erected 1990 by Solomon's Lodge No. 1, F. & A.M. of Savannah, Georgia.
Location. 31° 45.702′ N, 81° 16.887′ W. Marker is in Sunbury, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker can be reached from Fort Morris Road. Touch for map. Marker is near the entrance to Fort Morris Park, off Fort Morris Road. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles Fort Morris (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Sunbury Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sunbury (approx. 0.6 miles away); Saint John's Lodge Number Six (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Dead Town Of Sunbury (approx. 0.6 miles away); Colonel's Island (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sunbury.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Horticulture & Forestry • Notable Events • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 4,323 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.