Jamestown in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Here the First School House
the "Prendergast Academy"
was built in 1816.
Church services were
held here until
The First Church
was erected in 1829
on the same site by
"The First Congregational
Church and Society"
organized in 1816.
The church stood
Erected 1927 by Jamestown Centennial Commission, State of New York.
Location. 42° 5.873′ N, 79° 14.516′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and West 5th Street (New York State Route 394), on the left when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is fixed to the building to the right of the front entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 413 North Main Street, Jamestown NY 14701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tew Mansion (a few steps from this marker); The First Newspaper (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Jamestown Female Seminary (within shouting distance of this marker); Keyes' Carpenter Shop (about 300 feet away, measured "Keyes' Carpenter Shop" (about 300 feet away); Site of Gurney Ball Bearing Co. (about 500 feet away); First Furniture Factory (about 600 feet away); "Gokey Fire" (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.