Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kanab in Kane County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The Kanab Chapel

 
 
The Kanab Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 17, 2016
1. The Kanab Chapel Marker
Inscription. Although religious meetings were held in Kanab from its settlement in 1870, the town lacked a building with the dignity and atmosphere of a chapel. The people met in the Kanab Fort, various homes, in a bowery, and in the Ward Hall for their church services until the Chapel was completed in 1924. Construction began in 1923 by citizens of Kanab, who donated money, time, labor, and materials needed for the building. The chapel was built out of locally-manufactured red bricks and hewn native stone from a nearby quarry. At great sacrifice, the beautiful marble cornerstone was carried from deep within Kanab Canyon, a side canyon of the Grand Canyon. It was faced and engraved, then laid in place and dedicated on 7 March 1923. The official dedication of the entire chapel by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints President Heber J. Grant took place on 16 September 1928, four years after its completion.

In 1959, an extension was added to the chapel to accommodate the growing congregation of Kanab Stake. That extension became inadequate and was torn down in 2011 to make way for a new Stake Center just to the west. Renovation and remodeling into a Family History Center with space for church offices preserved the heritage of the old chapel. This building, truly a labor of love and faith, continues to grace the community as an icon
The Kanab Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 17, 2016
2. The Kanab Chapel Marker
of spirituality and worship. Additional information is available at the Kanab Heritage Museum.
 
Erected 2012 by Kanab Heritage and Historic Preservation Board.
 
Location. 37° 2.901′ N, 112° 31.73′ W. Marker is in Kanab, Utah, in Kane County. Marker is at the intersection of West Center Street and North Main Street, on the right when traveling west on West Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Kanab UT 84741, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kanab Public Square (here, next to this marker); The Academy Bell (here, next to this marker); Bob Hoy (within shouting distance of this marker); Ted Markland (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Collier (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Taylor (within shouting distance of this marker); Peggie Castle (within shouting distance of this marker); William A. Wellman (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kanab.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 143 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement