Lewiston in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Gully and Portage Road
The beginning of safe passage around the treacherous waters of Niagara Gorge and the Falls
Between 1958 and 1961, the construction of the Niagara Power Project dramatically altered the landscape, obscuring the original contours of the land and removing almost all traces of the original gully. Over 9.5 million cubic yards of rock and dirt excavated upriver were deposited over the
View of the Gully from the River. (Photo: Historical Association of Lewiston, Lewiston Museum Archives.)
Construction drastically alters the original terrain of the Landing, October 1958. (Photo: Historical Association of Lewiston, Lewiston Museum Archives.)
Artist's rendition of the terrain of the Lower Landing and Escarpment in 1700s and today. Note the length of the Gully and the altered slope of the Escarpment.
Location. 43° 9.938′ N, 79° 2.766′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County. Marker can be reached from South 4th Street ¼ mile south of Tuscarora Street. Touch for map. Marker is in Artpark near the end of the path from the main parking lot to the theater plaza. Marker is in this post office area: Lewiston NY 14092, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Demler (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Earl W. Brydges Artpark State Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Lower Landing Archeological District (within shouting The Lower Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cradles (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Magazin Royale (about 400 feet away); Fort Joncaire (about 400 feet away); Lewiston Mound (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
Categories. • Environment • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for The Gully and Portage Road.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 30, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.