Bovina Center in Delaware County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
classes Here Until 1959.
School District One
Created in 1813.
William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2016
Location. 42° 17.015′ N, 74° 42.547′ W. Marker is in Bovina Center, New York, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of Bovina Road and Crescent Valley Road, on the right when traveling south on Bovina Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bovina Center NY 13740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hubbell Homestead (approx. 8.6 miles away); Fitch's Covered Bridge (approx. 8.8 miles away); Frisbee House (approx. 9.4 miles away); Mount Utsayantha (approx. 9.9 miles away); Utsayantha Lake (approx. 10.9 miles away); Stone School House (approx. 11.3 miles away); Old Stone Schoolhouse (approx. 11.3 miles away); Site of Battle (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Regarding Maynard School. When the Town of Bovina was created in 1820, it had five common school districts. District one is known commonly as the Maynard district, named for one of Bovina’s earliest settlers, Elisha Maynard. The district was established in 1813, after New York State passed a new common school law establishing school districts the year before. The Maynard family gave the land for construction of the schoolhouse. The current schoolhouse building was constructed in 1849. A school operated here continually until the end of the 1958/59 school year, when the district trustees made the decision to send their children to central schools in Andes or Delhi. Now owned by the town of Bovina, it is the only one–room school in Bovina that still looks like it did when it ceased to operate. In 2014 and 2015, the Bovina Historical Society hosted a week-long ‘day camp’ at the school, where students and teachers went back in time to 1900. They dressed in clothing of the period and had lessons and games from that period.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2016, by Ray LaFever of Bovina Center, New York. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 8 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 3, 2016, by Ray LaFever of Bovina Center, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.