Ashland in Clay County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Clay County / Clay County Courthouse
Established Dec. 7, 1866
Boundaries of eastern Talladega County and western Randolph County were redrawn in 1866 to create the 58th county of Alabama. The name honors U. S. Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky. Historical place names include Almond, Anititchapko, Ashland, Barfield, Berwick, Bluff Springs, Bowden Grove, Brownsville, Bull Gap Crossroads, Campbell Springs, Carbon, Carr Mill, Chambers Springs, Clairmont Springs, Cleveland Crossroads, Coleta, Cooley, Copper Mine, County Line, Cragford, Delta, Dempsy, East Mill, Elias, Erin, Fishhead, Flat Rock, Fox Creek, Gibsonville, Gilberts Mill. Glades, Guntertown, Harlan, Hatchet Creek, Haynes Crossroads, High Pine, Highland, Hillabee, Hillabi Town, Hollins, Idaho, Jenkins Springs, Laundshi, Lineville Lundies Crossroads, McConathy, Mellow Valley, Midway, Millerville, Motley, Mountain, Needmore, Pinckneyville, Potus-Hatchi, Puckna, Pyriton, Rays Crossroads, Roma, Roselle, Ross Ford, Shady Grove, Shinbone, Sikesville, Skegg Crossroads, Springhill, Talladega Mountains, Union, Wako-Kayi, Watts Crossroads, Watts Mill. Weathers, Wesobulga, Wheelerville, Wicker,
The county’s first courthouse burned in 1875. Anniston architect Charles W. Carleton designed the present courthouse with Italian Renaissance elements. Contractor Harper & Barnes of Cleveland, Tenn., completed the building in August, 1906, at a cost of $37,986. A Seth Thomas clock in the dome is dated 1907. The courthouse has the highest elevation of any courthouse in Alabama. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black began his legal career here in 1906. Congressman Bob Riley launched a campaign for governor on the west side of the courthouse, and in 2003 became the first county native to serve as governor. This marker celebrating the centennial of the courthouse was unveiled on Aug. 12, 2006.
Erected 2006 by Alabama Tourism & Travel, Lee Sentelll, Director / Courthouse Celebration Chairman Probate Judge George Ingram.
Location. 33° 16.469′ N, 85° 50.134′ W. Marker is in Ashland, Alabama, in Clay County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Court Square (Road 31) and 2nd Avenue North, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 Court Square, Ashland AL 36251, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clay County Veterans Memorial Clay County and the Creek Indian War of 1813-14 / Clay County and the Creek Indian Confederacy (within shouting distance of this marker); Ashland, Alabama (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Ashland (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Richmond McCain (approx. 5.1 miles away); Lineville Alabama Monument (approx. 5.3 miles away); Goldville (approx. 13˝ miles away); Battle of Enitachopko (approx. 14.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashland.
Regarding Clay County / Clay County Courthouse. Notable characteristics of the Clay County Courthouse include its large dome, with clocks inset on four sides, and cupola surmounted by a statuary representing justice. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 1976.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Alabama history of Clay County. (Submitted on June 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 8, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.