Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Herndon in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Frying Pan Meeting House

 
 
Frying Pan Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 17, 2007
1. Frying Pan Meeting House Marker
Inscription. The Frying Pan Meeting House, constructed by 1791 on land donated by the Carter family in 1783, was used for Baptist services until 1968. Named for nearby Frying Pan Branch, the church is a rare example of 18th-Century architecture in western Fairfax County. By 1840 the congregation consisted of 33 whites and 29 blacks; both black and white members are buried in the church cemetery. During the Civil War, Union and Confederate forces each used the meetinghouse several times as a picket post. The last surviving church trustee conveyed the property to the Fairfax County Park Authority in 1984.
 
Erected 1994 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number T 43.)
 
Location. 38° 56.379′ N, 77° 24.79′ W. Marker is near Herndon, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Centerville Road (County Route 657) and Frying Pan Road, on the right when traveling north on Centerville Road. Touch for map. Located in Frying Pan Farm Park, of Fairfax County Parks System. Marker is in this post office area: Herndon VA 20171, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Frying Pan Meeting House (a few steps from this marker); Civil War at Frying Pan Spring Meeting House
Looking North on Centerville Road image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 17, 2007
2. Looking North on Centerville Road
The meeting house stands to the right (east side of the road). The black fenced section, on the right of the road, near the telephone pole, protects one of the original boundary stones for the meeting house grounds.
(within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Frying Pan Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mosby's Rock (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Mosby’s Rock (approx. half a mile away); Laura Ratcliffe (approx. 1.4 miles away); Clover Hill (approx. 2 miles away); Sully Plantation (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Herndon.
 
More about this marker. To visit this site, plan to stop at the main parking lot off West Ox Road (Route 608) and use one of the walking trails to get to the meeting house. There is limited pull off space next to the marker, and depending on the time of day, Centerville Road can be dangerous to cross.
 
Also see . . .  Frying Pan Meeting House. Fairfax County Park Website. (Submitted on August 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Frying Pan Meeting House image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 17, 2007
3. Frying Pan Meeting House
Frying Pan Meeting House Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 17, 2007
4. Frying Pan Meeting House Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,026 times since then and 55 times this year. Last updated on June 9, 2016, by Stephen Nicoud of Herndon, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement