Near Frostproof in Polk County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Fort Clinch
Erected by Polk County Historical Commission.
Location. 27° 45.341′ N, 81° 33.097′ W. Marker is near Frostproof, Florida, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 630 and Davis Road, on the right when traveling east on County Road 630. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 930 Co Rd 630, Frostproof FL 33843, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Burial Mound (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Indian Trails (approx. 11 miles away); Sumica (approx. 12.8 miles away); Fort Gardiner (approx. 15.3 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is mounted parallel with the road and can be difficult to spot. The reverse of the marker is blank, which is unusual for a free standing marker.
Regarding Site of Fort Clinch. General Duncan Lamont Clinch (1787-1849 ) served in the 1st and 2nd Seminole Indian Wars and was very popular with
Polk County's Ft. Clinch was established January 13, 1850 on the shore of what was then Lake Mocha Popka. This fort was a stockade which consisted of six or seven buildings. The fort was abandoned by the military June 8, 1850.
Sources: Gray, James M. Florida Forts. Polk County Historical and Genealogical Library. 1972. Call#FLA623G779.
Mahon, John K. History of the Second Seminole War. University of Florida Press, Gainesville, Fl. 1967.
Roberts, Robert B. Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States. Macmillan Publishing Co. NY. 1988.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2016, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. This page has been viewed 436 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 9, 2016, by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.