Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hamlin in Fisher County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Hitson Community

 
 
Site of Hitson Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2016
1. Site of Hitson Community Marker
Inscription. Ranchers John and William Hittson were among the first to settle in this area in about 1870; the area around their homes became known as Hittson or Hitson. Fisher County was created in 1876, and settlement began to increase. A post office opened in 1885. A school began operation in 1888 and by 1896 Hitston had a general store operated by C.W. Morris as well as a Methodist church. The Hittson brothers were the major landowners in the area, but the community included a number of large farming families who cleared the fertile land and planted crops.
     Though the post office was moved to Swedonia in 1906, the community of Hitson continued to grow. Oil was discovered in the area after World War I, providing an additional means of income for the townspeople as well as the Hitson School for a time. In 1925 there were 32 families with 120 school-age children living in the area.
     By 1940 the town had a school, a church, three businesses and scattered dwellings. As was the case in many small towns across Texas and the U.S. during World War II, most of the town’s young people enlisted in the armed forces or moved to cities to take part in the war effort. With their labor force thus depleted, Hitson farmers were unable to survive. Small family farms were sold to larger enterprises. Most of the new owners lived in nearby Hamlin or
Site of Hitson Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2016
2. Site of Hitson Community Marker
View to north across State Highway 92
Rotan. Hitson School was consolidated with Hamlin schools in 1947; the white frame church building used by the Hitson Baptist Church was moved to Roby in 1959 and by the end of the 20th century all that remained of the community were a few homes and a cemetery.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11672.)
 
Location. 32° 53.693′ N, 100° 12.75′ W. Marker is near Hamlin, Texas, in Fisher County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 92 and County Road 251, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 92. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hamlin TX 79520, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hamlin (approx. 5.1 miles away); Rath City (approx. 8.2 miles away); Texas Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway (approx. 8.2 miles away); Neinda Baptist Church (approx. 9.6 miles away); Woods Chapel Cemetery (approx. 9.6 miles away); Neinda Community (approx. 10 miles away); Boyd Chapel Community (approx. 12 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Hitson, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on June 10, 2016.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationSettlements & Settlers
 
Intersection of State Highway 92 and County Road 251 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 7, 2016
3. Intersection of State Highway 92 and County Road 251
Marker is at northwest corner of intersection
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement