Monticello in San Juan County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Utah Historic Site
The Fletcher Hammond family moved into the home in 1924 and remodeled it for use as a hotel, one of the first in San Juan County. Between 1933-36 Jack Nielson owned and operated the hotel and a dairy business on the property.
Kenneth and Elizabeth Summers moved here on July 4, 1936 and continued to operate the Hyland Hotel until 1974. Many salesmen, scientists, businessmen, tourists, and teachers enjoyed the home-like atmosphere inspired by Elizabeth's outlook that it was “a home first, and a hotel second”. The front office was used by visiting doctors to see patients. The building also served as a community gathering place for more than 50 years.
Erected 1955 by Division of State History.
Location. 37° 52.256′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 South 100 West, Monticello UT 84535, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cowboy Tack Shed (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Log Cabin (about 400 feet away); Sod Roof Cabin (about 500 feet away); Old Log Church (about 500 feet away); Monticello (about 700 feet away); Verdure (approx. 5.9 miles away); Newspaper Rock (approx. 12.5 miles away).
Categories. • Architecture •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.