Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wheeler's Cav. Intrenched
July 21. Before dawn, Wheeler was replaced by Cleburne’s div. (Hardee’s A.C.)(CS) which was shifted from Peachtree Cr. battlefield to meet the advance of the Federals from Decatur.
Blair’s 17th A.C., resuming the offensive, made its main attach upon the hill. Leggett’s div. of the 17th, forced Cleburne’s withdrawal – thereby gaining a point on Atlanta’s outer defenses – the eminence known as Leggett’s Hill.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historic Commission. (Marker Number 044-66.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 44.692′ N, 84° 20.978′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is at the intersection of Moreland Avenue and Interstate 20, on the right when traveling south on Moreland Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30316, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Leggett's Hill (here, next to this marker); Attack from the West (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cleburne's Div. in the Federal Rear (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cleburne Outflanked Left Wing, 17th A.C. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Ground --1864 (approx. half a mile away); Death of McPherson (approx. half a mile away); Fuller's Div.16th A.C. (approx. 0.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Gresham's Division (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,024 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. 3. submitted on January 1, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.