Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Charles City in Charles City County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sturgeon Point & Kennons

Charles City County, Virginia

 
 
Sturgeon Point & Kennons Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, August 11, 2007
1. Sturgeon Point & Kennons Marker
Inscription. Kennons originally took its name from the plantation of the Kennon family. Kennons Creek, earlier known as David Jones Creek, served as a boundary for the earlier Wallingford Parish. Kennons Landing was the terminus for the Meadow Road, as well as rail lines, which carried cut timber to the river. Landmarks of Kennons have included Fort Pocahontas, a brickyard and the post offices of Kennons (est. 1850), Wilson's Landing (1865-79) and Sturgeon Point (est. 1879). The area also included two schools and the Order of St. Luke Hall. Prominent homes in this area have included Cambridge, Farmers Rest, Farmington, Milton, Sherwood Forest, Sellwood, Stonehenge and Lion's Den, home of Lyon G. Tyler, President of the College of William and Mary. Members of the Major family of Oak Hill served as Clerk of the Court and Sheriff. Reverend George Washington Marrow (1848-1926), a freedman, was a prominent who resided in this area.
 
Location. 37° 19.556′ N, 76° 59.704′ W. Marker is near Charles City, Virginia, in Charles City County. Marker is on John Tyler Memorial Highway (Virginia Route 5) 0.2 miles east of Sturgeon Point Road (Virginia Route 614), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in a marker cluster beside the roadway. Marker is in this post office area: Charles City VA 23030, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Sturgeon Point & Kennons Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, August 11, 2007
2. Sturgeon Point & Kennons Marker
Shown with Sherwood Forest (V 36), Fort Pocahontas (V 34), and Kennon's Landing (V 35) markers.
At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sherwood Forest (here, next to this marker); Kennon's Landing (here, next to this marker); Fort Pocahontas (a few steps from this marker); President Tyler's Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Sandy Point & Cherry Hall (approx. 2 miles away); Binns Hall (approx. 3 miles away); Wryanoke & Parrish Hill (approx. 3.2 miles away); North Bend (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charles City.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USColonial EraHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLandmarksSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,163 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 25, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   2. submitted on July 26, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of Sturgeon Point. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement