Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cheyenne in Laramie County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

1980 Capitol North National Historic District

 
 
1980 Capitol North National Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 27, 2016
1. 1980 Capitol North National Historic District Marker
Inscription. The Capitol North Historic District of Cheyenne was built between 1905-1930 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. This district presents a good blend of middle to upper income housing for the period. Many of the home styles are frame construction with clapboard siding, brick, and brick veneers that were common in the period. Several of the older buildings within the district were moved in from Fort D.A. Russell (now F.E. Warren Air Force Base) as the fort changed from wooden structures to the brick ones you see today.
This district, consisting of approximately 12 city blocks, is located primarily to the North of the State Capitol. Because of its proximity to the State Capitol and other State buildings, this district provided housing for officials of the State to include Governors, State Legislatures, lawyers, judges, and other related professionals.
Some of the key buildings in this district include: The Luke Voorhies House, 2819 Thomes, 1884; The Charles Hirsig House, 2800 Carey Avenue, 1922; The J.B. True House, 2800 Capitol Avenue, 1922; The Cyrus Beard House, 2710 Carey Avenue, 1911; The Moses P. Keefe House, 210 W. 27th Street, 1910; Governor Leslie Miller Home, 108 W. 27th Street, 1908; The W.E. Chaplin House, 2622 Central Avenue, 1910; The A.A. Underwood House, 214 W. 26th Street, 1905;
1980 Capitol North National Historic District Marker, reverse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 27, 2016
2. 1980 Capitol North National Historic District Marker, reverse
Diagram of the National Historic Districts of Cheyenne.
and the D.S. Swan House, 2612 Central Avenue, 1915.
 
Erected by City of Cheyenne, Cheyenne Historic Historic Preservation Board, Cheyenne Area Convention and Visitors Board, Wyoming Cultural Trust Fund and Preserve America.
 
Location. 41° 8.468′ N, 104° 49.404′ W. Marker is in Cheyenne, Wyoming, in Laramie County. Marker is on Randall Avenue near Pioneer Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 329 Randall Avenue, Cheyenne WY 82001, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land (approx. 0.2 miles away); Esther Hobart Morris (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elling William "Bill" Golling (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wyoming Spanish American War Monument (approx. mile away); Wyoming Army and Air National Guard Memorial (approx. mile away); The Cheyenne - Ft. Laramie - Deadwood Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Cheyenne's Carnegie Public Library -- 1901-1966 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Durant Bell (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheyenne.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located in a small triangular park bounded by Randall and Pioneer Avenues
1980 Capitol North National Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 27, 2016
3. 1980 Capitol North National Historic District Marker
and West 26th Street.
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 18, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 18, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement