Dr. P. [Powhatan] P. Trueheart built this building known as the "Doctors Block" in 1882. His son, Dr. Marion Trueheart, was a pioneer in the use of x-ray and the introduction of radium for cancer treatment at this location. The upstairs was occupied by the Sterling Telephone Company from 1897 to 1954. Jerald Bourgain purchased the building in 1990 and after renovation renamed it "The Emporium".
Erected by Historic Downtown Sterling, Ks.
Location. 38° 12.582′ N, 98° 12.401′ W. Marker is in Sterling, Kansas, in Rice County. Marker is on Broadway (State Highway 14/96) south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 South Broadway, Sterling KS 67579, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bulletin (within shouting distance of this marker); The Landis Hollinger Mercantile (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Monroe Apartments (about 400 feet away); The Mincer Building (about 400 feet away); Mead[e] Post No 14 G.A.R. Memorial (about 500 feet away); The Santa Fe Depot
Regarding The Emporium.
Excerpt from It Happened in Kansas, August 1935 issue:
WHEN Dr. P. P. Trueheart, 84, veteran Sterling physician, found it necessary to undergo an operation for a gangrenous appendix he insisted upon directing the surgery. A local anesthetic was applied and the actual operation was performed by his son, Dr. Marion Trueheart, Sterling, and his son-in-law, Dr. Kilbourn, Wichita, but the patient directed the proceedings.
Also see . . .
1. Historical Development of Sterling, Kansas. (Submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. "A Souvenir of Sterling, Kansas" (1925). (Submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Main Street Sterling. (Submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Communications • Man-Made Features • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 19, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.