Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
De Leon Plaza
A water well lined with brick was placed in the center of the square in 1850. By 1872 a windmill stood over the well; twelve years later it was replaced by a standpipe. Other improvements included a bandstand in the 1870s, hitching racks in 1897; a Confederate memorial statue, "Last Stand" by Pompeo Coppini, dedicated in 1912; and lamp standards in 1923. In that year the standpipe was removed and the bandstand was relocated to the center of the plaza. Sidewalks were added by the Public Works Administration in the 1930s. Through the efforts of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the site was renamed De Leon Plaza as part of a plaza beautification project in 1941.
As a gathering place, summer concert arena, exposition site, and town center, De Leon Plaza continues to serve the people of
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12273.)
Location. 28° 47.978′ N, 97° 0.364′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Texas, in Victoria County. Marker is on North Main Street south of West Forrest Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 N Main St, Victoria TX 77901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1892 Victoria County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Federal Building (about 700 feet away); Site of Round Top House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Victoria's First Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Empresario Martín de León (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Mary's Church, Catholic (approx. ¼ mile away); Regan House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Guadalupe River (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Categories. • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.