The Swedish Pavilion
The Swedish Pavilion, the largest building to the south, was originally the Swedish exposition building at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, Missouri. Modeled after traditional Swedish manor houses, the Pavilion was prefabricated in Sweden, shipped to America and reassembled in St. Louis. At the close of the World's Fair, it was presented to Bethany College. The building was again dismantled and then moved to Lindsborg where it was located on the campus of Bethany College. It housed classrooms for the domestic sciences and was home to the art department under the direction of Birger SandzÚn. In 1969 the Pavilion was moved intact to its present location in Heritage Park at the Old Mill Museum and was restored by the Smoky Valley Historical Association.
During his visit to Lindsborg in 1976, King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden dedicated the Swedish Pavilion to all Swedes and Swedish-Americans.
Erected by Dr. Duane and Nancy Frederickson.
Location. 38° 34.07′ N, 97° 40.474′ W. Marker is in Lindsborg, Kansas, in McPherson
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home and Studio of Anton Pearson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sweadal 1869 (about 500 feet away); Steve W. Train (about 500 feet away); Otto Johnson (about 600 feet away); The Teichgraeber-Runbeck House (about 700 feet away); Smoky Valley Roller Mills (about 700 feet away); Runbeck Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Methodist Mare" (approx. ╝ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lindsborg.
Also see . . .
1. Swedish Pavilion. (Submitted on June 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Swedish Pavilion National Register Nomination. (Submitted on June 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Heritage Square and the Swedish Pavilion. (Submitted on June 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 24, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.