Shiner in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
The members acquired two acres of land at this site in 1891, and a frame sanctuary was completed in May of that year. In February 1892 a tornado caused extensive damage to the original church structure, but it was rebuilt on a larger scale.
Designated a parish in 1912, the growing congregation soon needed larger facilities. This structure, designed by F. Wahrenburger, was built in 1920-21 by volunteer laborers led by the Rev. F.X. Wolf. An outstanding example of the Romanesque revival style of architecture, it features stained glass windows imported from Munich, Germany; cut stone detailing in the pinnacles and buttresses; an arcaded front portico; and a soaring, square tower with octagonal spire. Listed in the National Register of Historic places since 1983, it also features a magnificent painted interior.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4489.)
Location. 29° 25.423′ N, 97° 9.932′ W. Marker is in Shiner, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is on Saint Ludmila Street west of Avenue E (Alternate U.S. 90), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 424 St Ludmilla Street, Shiner TX 77984, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spoetzl Brewery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Kaspar Wire Works (approx. 0.9 miles away); Half Moon (approx. 2.1 miles away); Herder Half Moon Place (approx. 2.7 miles away); Cuero I Archeological District (approx. 11.4 miles away); Stagecoach Inn (approx. 11.9 miles away); Concrete College (1865 - 1881) (approx. 15 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.