Forney in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brooklyn's business and housing activity shifted here after the Texas & Pacific Railroad extended its line through this area in 1873. A post office opened in 1873 and the town was renamed Forney for noted railroad official John W. Forney. By 1891 Forney had become a bustling town with more than 50 business establishments including a bank, opera house, and two hotels.
Ranch and farm produce, including cotton, Bois d'Arc wood products, and the area's nationally recognized blackland prairie hay were shipped by rail at Forney and the town prospered. In the 1920s U.S. Highway 80 (The Dixie Highway) and an interurban railroad came through the town. Beginning with the Great Depression Forney's agricultural economy declined for several decades. Eventually Forney experienced a revival of growth as a bedroom community of Dallas, Texas.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission
Location. 32° 44.88′ N, 96° 28.303′ W. Marker is in Forney, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is on South Bois D'Arc Street near East Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located on the grounds of the Forney City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 E Main St, Forney TX 75126, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dixie Overland Highway (within shouting distance of this marker); Walter Dickson Adams and the Adams Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker); 1899 Automobile Trip (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Madison McDonald (about 400 feet away); Dick P. Moore House (about 500 feet away); The Forney Messenger (about 700 feet away); McKellar House (approx. ¼ mile away); William and Blanche Brooks House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Forney.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 236 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 27, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. 2. submitted on August 27, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.