Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsport in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Bowie List

 
 
The Bowie List Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 29, 2016
1. The Bowie List Marker
Inscription. Following the war, the unmarked graves of the Confederate dead were scattered across Washington County. Many were in poor condition and exposed to the elements by farmers and animals.

In 1869, the trustees of the Antietam National Cemetery contacted Governor Oden Bowie with their concerns about the condition of the graves. They asked the governor for help in locating these sites and providing proper burials for the remains.

Governor Bowie appointed Thomas Boult of Hagerstown to oversee the project of locating and identifying the Confederate dead. Boult hired Sharpsburg residents Moses Poffenberger and Aaron Good to do the work. These men and their employees exhumed over 3200 bodies and transported the remains to Rosehill Cemetery in Hagerstown. Once there, they reinterred them in a section now called the Washington Confederate Cemetery. They also produced a complete list of Confederate graves, known as "The Bowie List."

[text with upper right image] Excerpt from the Hagerstown Weekly Herald detailing Henry Mumma's efforts to find and re-inter remains at Washington Confederate Cemetery.

[text with lower right image] Sketch by Frank Schell. First appeared in Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, October 18 1862. Burial crews at work on the Roulette Farm along Bloody Lane.

[text
The Bowie List Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, June 29, 2016
2. The Bowie List Marker
Riverview cemetery. The barely visible flag in the distant center of this photo between the two large trees is at the location of Doubleday Hill.
with the lower left image] Page 53 of the original Bowie List.
 
Location. 39° 35.854′ N, 77° 49.448′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Vermont Street and Commerce Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is about 100 feet from the intersection, along the paved road in the cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport MD 21795, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. River View Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Doubleday Hill (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Doubleday Hill (about 600 feet away); Light's Ford and Lemen's Ferry (about 600 feet away); Abner Doubleday (about 600 feet away); The C&O Canal in the Civil War at Williamsport (approx. 0.2 miles away); Boats Passing By (approx. 0.2 miles away); Murder of Dewitt Clinton Rench (Rentch) (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2016, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2016, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement