Near McConnells in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
William Bratton Plantation/Battle of Huck's Defeat
Side 1: William Bratton Plantation
In 1766 William Bratton and his wife Martha Robertson purchased 200 acres on the South Fork of Fishing Creek and built a single-pen log house here at the junction of several important colonial roads. The Bratton home was the first in what would become the community of Brattonsville. Bratton was an important civil leader, serving also as an officer in the patriot militia during the Revolution.
Side 2: Battle of Huck's Defeat
James Williamson also settled on Fishing Creek in 1766 and built a log house 400 yards SE of here. On July 12, 1780, 120 British and loyalist troops, led by Christian Huck, camped at the Williamson home. They were attacked and defeated by 140 local patriot militiamen led by Colonel William Bratton and other officers in the Battle of Williamson's Plantation or "Huck's Defeat."
Erected 2015 by Culture & Heritage Museum of York County. (Marker Number 46 61.)
Location. 34° 51.936′ N, 81° Touch for map. Marker is in the Brattonsville Historic District separated from the open-air museum by a rail fence beside the road. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Connells SC 29726, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Field of Huck's Defeat (a few steps from this marker); The Battle of Huck’s Defeat (a few steps from this marker); Backwoods Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Brick Kitchen (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bratton Home (about 300 feet away); The Homestead (about 300 feet away); Brattonsville (about 400 feet away); A House of Untold Stories (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McConnells.
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2016, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 3, 2016, by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia.