Jefferson in Marion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John M. Vines
Served as sheriff-tax collector for Marion County, 1874-1876.
In April, 1877, sent as agent of the state of Texas to bring Abe Rothschild back to Jefferson from Ohio to stand trial for the murder of "Diamond" Bessie Moore (one of the sensational murder trials of the 19th century.)
Construction superintendent for Jefferson Federal Courthouse, 1888.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8101.)
Location. 32° 46.022′ N, 94° 20.893′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Texas, in Marion County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Douglas Street and North Line Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. This marker stands in Oakwood Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 607 N Alley St, Jefferson TX 75657, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richard Waterhouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Meat Packing Plant Torrans-Clopton-Spellings House (approx. half a mile away); The George T. Todd House (approx. half a mile away); Site of Home of Captain George T. Todd (approx. half a mile away); The Brooks House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Immaculate Conception Catholic Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Texas Artificial Gas Plant (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
More about this marker. This historical marker apparently serves as John M. Vine's headstone. Normally this size marker is closer to the ground, mounted at an angle. This one is mounted vertically, on a tall post.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Politics • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.