Lancaster in Schuyler County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Capital of one of the foremost livestock farming counties in Missouri, Lancaster was laid out as the county seat of the newly organized Schuyler County, 1845. Named for Rev. War Gen. Phillip J. Schuyler, the county was a part of the territory ceded by Iowa, Sac, and Fox tribes in 1824. Pioneer legislator John Lusk named the town for Lancaster, PA.
In the Civil War, troops of both sides and guerrilla bands overran the county. Union forces occupied Lancaster at times. Sharp skirmishes occurred here on Nov. 24, 1861 and on Sept. 7, 1862. With the close of the war, prosperity returned. In 1868 the North Missouri R.R. (Wabash) reached the county and in 1872 the Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska (C.B and Q.) came to Lancaster.
Here William P. (Diamond Billy) Hall had his internationally known horse and mule market. Sometimes called "Horse King of the World," he supplied thousands of horses and mules to the British in the Boer War and to the Allies in World War I. Following a brief career as a circus operator, he also maintained a circus equipment and wild animal brokerage business here.
Lancaster, here in the Glacial Plains of north Missouri, serves as a seat of justice for a leading sheep raising county of the State. The county, first permanently settled by Moses Stice, 1834, was long
Through Schuyler County, following the Great Divide separating tributaries of the Missouri and Mississippi, ran the Bee Trace, noted pioneer trail. The northern limits of the county were not known until the U.S. Supreme Court, in 1851, made the boundary between Missouri and Iowa the 1824 Iowa, Sac, and Fox Indian purchase line. Historic Salt River and several forks and divisions of the Fabius rise in Schuyler County.
Lancaster is the birthplace of novelist Rupert Hughes, inventor Howard R. Hughes (father of motion picture producer Howard R. Hughes); and agriculturist John R. Rippey, the first secretary of the Missouri State Fair. Financier Tom K. Smith was born in nearby Glenwood; and educator and editor Glenn Frank in Queen City to the south.
Erected 1957 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 40° 31.532′ N, 92° 32.621′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Missouri, in Schuyler County. Marker is on U.S. 63 half a mile north of Washington Street (State Highway 136), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster MO 63548, United States of America.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2016. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2016. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.