Lander in Fremont County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Lander Valley Historical Sites
Camp Magraw, 1857, site 2.1 miles north.
Fort Thompson, 1857-1858, was located 4.4 miles north of here.
Camp Augur, 1869-1870, became the original Camp Brown, 1870-1871. Location was 1/2 mile west on the south side of Main Street.
Lander was named in 1875 in honor of Gen. Frederick West Lander.
Erected 1955 by Historical Landmark Commission of Wyoming.
Location. 42° 49.944′ N, 108° 43.62′ W. Marker is in Lander, Wyoming, in Fremont County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 287) near North 1st Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 150 East Main Street, Lander WY 82520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lander's Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); IOOF Building - Golden Rule Store (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Palace Pharmacy, Albany Hotel, US Post Office (about 700 feet away); Main Street (about 700 feet away); Lander Hotel Bossert Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fremont Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Noble Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lander.
Categories. • Exploration • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.