Dyess Air Force Base in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
7th Bombardment Wing, Heavy
One of the wing’s major peacetime accomplishments was the personnel and aircraft support given during the development of, and the first “air refueling” operations, in 1929.
On 7 December 1941, 35 B-17’s of the 7th arrived Hickam Field, Hawaii during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Since this first day of World War II, the 7th struck back at the Japanese, destroying important targets from the Philippines to Java. During 1944, the 7th was the first to carry out B-24 low level radio controlled (Azon) bombing.
The 7th remained in the Pacific Far East Theater until 6 January 1946 when it returned to the United States. It was assigned to SAC in October 1946. Carswell AFB has been its home station since that time. The 7th was the first SAC unit to be equipped with the B-36, which for nine years contributed heavily to maintaining world peace. The 7th converted to B-52’s in 1957.
The wing’s battle history is rated among the distinguished
PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION - Philippines, Netherland Indies and Java from 14 Jan - 1 March 1942.
DISTINGUISHED UNIT CITATION - Burma - 19 March 1945.
BATTLE HONORS - China Defensive, Burma, Central Burma, China Offensive and India Burma.
Since activation in 1919, the wing has utilized DH 5, LWF, LB 7, LB 30, B-17, B-18, B-24, B-25, B-29, B-36, KC-135 and B-52 aircraft in both peacetime and wartime operations.
This monument presented to the 7th Bombardment Wing by Amon G. Carter Foundation in the year 1962.
Erected 1962 by Amon G. Carter Foundation.
Location. 32° 25.918′ N, 99° 48.977′ W. Marker is in Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker is on Arnold Boulevard 0.2 miles west of Louisiana Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Dyess Airpark; the airpark is on the military installation and access is restricted. Marker is in this post office area: Dyess AFB TX 79607, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Air Force Medal of Honor Recipients (a few steps from this marker); 12th Armored Division at Camp Barkeley (approx. half a mile away); 12th Armored Division Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Lt. Col. William E. Dyess (approx. 0.8 miles away); Dyess Elementary School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Abilene Woman's Club Building (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of Western Cattle Trail (approx. 2.9 miles away); Prairie Dogs (approx. 3˝ miles away).
More about this marker. The marker was originally installed in 1962 at Carswell Air Force Base near Fort Worth, Texas. (Carswell AFB is now Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base.) The 7th Bombardment Wing relocated its home station from Carswell AFB to Dyess Air Force Base on October 1, 1993, and the marker was subsequently moved to Dyess AFB.
Also see . . . 7th Bomb Wing - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on July 14, 2016.)
Categories. • War, Cold • War, World I • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 14, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.