Caldwell in Saint Clair County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Original Site of Pleasant Hill Methodist Church
The first church was a one room log building. In 1882, a second log church was erected in front of the original structure and functioned as the church and school. It was moved to the northwest corner of the cemetery when a third building was erected in 1902. Church members cut trees from their farms for the lumber to build the third building. Vandiver Sanders,, a carpenter, supervised the construction. The administrative board members, then called stewards, were G.B. Burttram, R.G. Cleary, Owen Hulbert, Bob Ingle, and Tom McCullogh.
In 1936-37, Rev. J.H. McKnight, also a carpenter, supervised the construction of two wings. Three Sunday School rooms and a basement were added in 1950, supervised by Alford Holderfield. In 1961, a vestibule and steeple were added under the supervision of R.C. Burnett and T.R. Tinsley with moneys raised raised by the Senior M.Y.F. In the steeple was a bell donated by Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Dean.
This church building was removed in 1979 after completion of the current brick building across the cemetery. The church fathers' faith in Christ lives in the
Erected 1995 by Mr. and Mrs. James L. Davies and Mrs. Elsie Washington Davies.
Location. 33° 49.229′ N, 86° 22.84′ W. Marker is in Caldwell, Alabama, in Saint Clair County. Marker can be reached from Pleasant Hill Church Drive 0.1 miles north of Washington Valley Road (County Route 31), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located an the south end of the Pleasant Hill Church Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Springville AL 35146, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church Of Springville (approx. 5.8 miles away); Assassination Site of Sgt. E. Frank Harrison (approx. 7.3 miles away); The Dean / Inzer House (approx. 7.3 miles away); A County Older Than The State, St. Clair County (approx. 7.3 miles away); Champion Mines (approx. 9.3 miles away); Historic Oneonta L & N Railroad Depot (approx. 10.2 miles away); Blount County (approx. 10.3 miles away); John Looney House (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2016, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2016, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.