Near Newtown Square in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Daniel Williamson House
Daniel acquired 450 acre tract From Thomas Rudyard in 1692, Main House built in three sections, 1692, 1794, 1801. East end oldest. Huge walk in fireplace
Erected by Newtown Square Historical Preservation Society.
Location. 39° 58.445′ N, 75° 24.994′ W. Marker is near Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is on Bishop Hollow Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newtown Square PA 19073, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bartram Bridge (approx. 1½ miles away); Square Inn (approx. 1.6 miles away); Culbertson House (approx. 2.6 miles away); Maris House (approx. 2.9 miles away); John J. Tyler Arboretum (approx. 3.1 miles away); Okehocking Indian Town (approx. 3½ miles away); St. David's Church (approx. 3½ miles away); Thomas Massey House (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown Square.
Also see . . . History of Garrett-Williamson. (Submitted on July 21, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
1. History of Williamson and
Daniel Williamson came to the area near Crum Creek from the village of Stretton in Cheshire, England as one of the areas earliest settlers. He was a Quaker and left to escape the religious persecution going on there from the time before he was born. (1665) Daniels lineage lends to an ongoing “sister town” relationship with that town in England, and Newtown Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Near the end of his life Williamson, was involved in county government and was a member of the Assembly representing Chester County, at the time of his death in 1727.
The house as the marker states is actually three structures joined at common walls. The central section of the Daniel Williamson House is constructed of vertical timbers, while the other two side sections are of stone. Both field stone structures as well as the wood center section are all covered over with stucco, making it seem as a continuous structure. The oldest section of the house is the fieldstone section on the right, and it is likely the oldest surviving house in Newtown Township. This ancient first section contains only two rooms one on top of the other, and an attic. The first floor room has a small north facing window, and a large walk in fireplace. The wooden center section has vertical planks that were likely milled in Daniel’s saw mill on Crum Creek. The newest stone
— Submitted July 22, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Categories. • Architecture • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.