Ashland in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Citizens Banking and Trust Company Building No. 2 1910
National Register of Historic Places
by the United States Department of the Interior
National Park Service
and is subject to the provisions of the
Oregon Special Assessment Program
Location. 42° 11.741′ N, 122° 42.732′ W. Marker is in Ashland, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is on East Main (Oregon Route 99), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 240 East Main Street, Ashland OR 97520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Enders Building No. 1, 1914 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Whittle Garage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ashland Lithia Water (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ashland Creek (approx. ¼ mile away); Ashland Cemetery War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Applegate Trail (approx. half a mile away); Dead Indian Memorial Road (approx. 3 miles away); World War II Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashland.
Also see . . .
1. National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on July 22, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
2. Citizens Banking and Trust Company Building. In 1910, Citizen's Bank retained architect W. F. Bowen to design a bank building--two stories of buff-colored brick with granite detailing--and make it visually compatible with the building to the east, which was then under construction for Clyde Payne, a local real estate agent. Upon completion, the bank occupied the prominent corner storefront while the Payne section--more modestly constructed of the brick without any granite trim--housed a grocery and barbershop. The combined second floor, accessed via a shared entry, provided space for a number of Ashland professionals. The Citizen's Banking and Trust Company Building clearly reflects a period of civic pride, economic growth, and prosperity unequalled in Ashland's history. The building's location firmly anchors Ashland's modern business district as the outstanding and most intact building constructed during the city's boom years from 1909 to 1913. The new bank met with immediate success and grew rapidly. After only a year of operation, its resources increased more than 200 percent, rising from $115,596 in December of 1910 to $217,879 in November of 1911. This rapid growth was attributed to the community orientation of the bank's loan policies. The bank had a policy of turning deposits back into the local economy... (Submitted on July 22, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.