Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
La Grange in Oldham County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

104 East Main Street

circa 1910

 
 
104 East Main Street NRHP Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 26, 2016
1. 104 East Main Street NRHP Marker
Inscription.

This property is on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior

 
Location. 38° 24.464′ N, 85° 22.714′ W. Marker is in La Grange, Kentucky, in Oldham County. Marker is on Main Street east of 1st Street (Kentucky Route 53), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 East Main Street, La Grange KY 40031, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); William Berry Taylor of Spring Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); A Masonic Leader (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oldham County, 1824 (about 500 feet away); William T. Barbour House (about 600 feet away); War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); David Wark Griffith (approx. 4.5 miles away); Westport (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
 
Regarding 104 East Main Street.

The 1988 Central La Grange National Register Historic District Registration Form reads:

104 East Main Street, c. 1900/1980s. One of two serious intrusions along this otherwise

104 East Main Street and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., June 26, 2016
2. 104 East Main Street and Marker
extremely intact block of Main Street. Three freestanding one-story buildings dating from c. 1900 have been thoroughly altered with a replacement stucco and false half-timbered facade and tied together with an unbroken pent-roof element. Cast-iron columns of the two eastern storefronts are still visible. Portions of exterior side walls have been removed to create one interior space. Two recent additions are located to the rear.


Contributor note: The Form states that the building is "Non-contributing" to the district but the "stucco and false half-timbered facade" as well as the "pent-roof element" have been removed. Apparently the building was added as "contributing" via an amendment to the historic district registration.
 
Also see . . .  Central La Grange Historic District National Register Registration Form. (Submitted on July 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement