Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

George Thorpe

 
 
George Thorpe Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, August 11, 2007
1. George Thorpe Marker
Inscription. On April 3, 1620, The London Company hired George Thorpe to manage the land and tenants for the proposed "university and college" on 11,000 acres on the north bank of the James River above Henrico Town. The agricultural activities of the tenants supported the school, which was established to Christianize American Indian children and introduce them to English culture. Indian attackers killed Thorpe and 347 Virginia colonists on March 22, 1622 at the beginning of the Anglo-Powhatan War. The event brought an end to early efforts to establish a university and college in Henrico.
 
Erected 2000 by County of Henrico. (Marker Number HC-14.)
 
Location. 37° 26.033′ N, 77° 19.75′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is at the intersection of New Market Road (Virginia Route 5) and Farmers Circle Drive, on the right when traveling east on New Market Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henrico VA 23231, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Market Heights (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Action at Osborne's (about 500 feet away); Varina (about 500 feet away); Proposed First University in English America (about 500 feet away); Henrico History (about 500 feet away); Henrico Town (about 500 feet away); Pocahontas (about 600 feet away); Battle of New Market Heights (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Categories. Colonial EraEducationNotable EventsNotable PersonsWars, US Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,610 times since then and 179 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 27, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement