Near Fort Washakie in Fremont County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Shoshone-Episcopal Mission Boarding School
"Our hope is in the children and the young people, the old people can't hear!" So spoke Washakie, Chief of Shoshones, when, in 1889, he gave this land -- 60 acres of hallowed Shoshone ground, traditional place of solemn assembly and religious ceremony -- to his friend the "White Robe", the Reverend Mr. Roberts. Thus the unlettered warrior-statesman, nearing the end of a long life and heavy labors, bequeathed a share of his burdens to an Oxford educated ecclesiastic who, throughout a similarly long lifetime, would similarly labor to lighten the problems of people experiencing transition.
To that end the missionary established his school. Its cornerstone was laid in 1890 and, despite wilderness handicaps, the Georgian building was completed within a year. Here, on soil consecrated by former tribal rituals, Shoshone girls learned a Christian catechism. To their teacher's credit, new knowledge was imparted without disparagement of old beliefs.
Washakie, approaching his centenarian year and having
This school, largely self-supporting through revenues from its farm lands, was in session 55 years. It closed in 1945.
Erected by Wyoming State Parks and Historic Sites.
Location. 42° 59.13′ N, 108° 54.738′ W. Marker is near Fort Washakie, Wyoming, in Fremont County. Marker is on Trout Creek Road near Cemetery Lane, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 Trout Creek (Moccasin Lake) Road, Fort Washakie WY 82514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sacajawea (approx. half a mile away); Mrs. Maggie Richards and Mrs. Hall (approx. half a mile away); The Right Rev. George Maxwell Randall, D.D. (approx. half a mile away); Sacajawea Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Sacajawea (approx. half a mile away); Block House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Washakie (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort Washakie World War II Veterans Memorial (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Washakie.
Also see . . . Shoshone Episcopal Mission School - Historic Wyoming. The Shoshone Episcopal Mission School was significant in several ways. It was the first Episcopal mission school for girls established in what was then the Wyoming Territory. The mission has been operating since the 1880s, making the historical context for the site well over a century old. The school's association with two prominent individuals in Wyoming history - John Roberts and Chief Washakie - also makes the site significant. (Submitted on July 26, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 26, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 26, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.