Saint Mary's School of Nursing
formerly Saint Mary's Training School for Nurses
In 1894, the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent dePaul launched Wisconsin's first private hospital organized training school for nurses at St. Mary's Hospital, Milwaukee. The two year curriculum was expanded to three in 1901 and a diploma awarded upon graduation. The school incorporated separately in 1912, became state accredited in 1913 and nationally accredited in 1940.
Affiliation with other institutions of learning began in 1924. The name was changed in 1932 to denote the transition from training to education.
Rising costs and growth of college degree programs brought voluntary dissolution in 1969 after graduating 1,913 nurses.
Erected 1972 by St. Mary's School of Nursing Alumnae. (Marker Number 186.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 3.607′ N, 87° 52.737′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on N. Terrace Avenue, on the left when traveling north
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old North Point Water Tower (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint John's Infirmary (about 300 feet away); Villa Terrace (approx. 0.2 miles away); North Point Light Station (approx. half a mile away); Milwaukee River Flushing Pump (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Allis House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Civil War Camp (approx. ¾ mile away); Prehistoric Burial Mound (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Categories. • Education • Science & Medicine • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2016, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 288 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on July 27, 2016, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 30, 2016, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.