Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Denver in Denver County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Wynkoop Street RR Bridge

1908

 

—Lower Downtown Walking Tour —

 
Wynkoop Street RR Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 28, 2016
1. Wynkoop Street RR Bridge Marker
Inscription. Denver's first settlement was along the confluence of the South Platte River and Cherry Creek. Arapahoe Indians named Cherry Creek for the wild chokecherries they harvested here in the fall. They respected the stream's power and warned the first town builder's against building on its banks. Disregarding Native American wisdom, gold-seekers and pioneers poured into the area, quickly followed by railroads to supply the burgeoning community. The first railroad was the Denver Pacific, later part of the Union Pacific Railroad system. The Union Depot was completed in 1881, and by the mid-1880's, a veritable smorgasbord of railroad acronyms had come into being: the Denver & Rio Grande (D&RG), the Denver, South Park, Pacific and the Denver & New Orleans (DSP&P and D&NO) - later called the Colorado and Southern (C&S) - the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe (AT&SF) and the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy (CB&Q), which today is the Burlington Northern (BN). Cherry Creek has been traversed by seven railroad bridges since 1887. Five of the seven still stand. Bridges built before the flood of 1878 were simple wood pile trestles, but after the 1885 flood, these were gradually replaced with iron and steel truss construction. Four of the bridges were single track, two double-track and one four-track. The Wynkoop Street Bridge was used by the Denver and Rio Grande
Wynkoop Street RR Bridge or 'Manny's Bridge'. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 28, 2016
2. Wynkoop Street RR Bridge or 'Manny's Bridge'.
Bridge runs across Cherry Creek and next to the Cherry Creek Trail.
as a mainline track to supply the industries and warehouses along Wynkoop Street. This steel version was constructed in 1908 and remains a lonely reminder of a once frenetic past, which has seen neither traffic or trains for many years.
 
Erected by Denver's Landmark Preservation Commission, Lower Downtown Historic District.
 
Location. 39° 45.007′ N, 105° 0.192′ W. Marker is in Denver, Colorado, in Denver County. Marker is on Wynkoop Street 0.1 miles west of 15th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Mounted to the left truss of the bridge at the west dead end of Wynkoop Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 Wynkoop Street, Denver CO 80202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Manny's Bridge (here, next to this marker); The Edbrooke Lofts (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spratlen-Anderson Building (about 400 feet away); Denver City (about 700 feet away); Constitution Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); C. S. Morey Mercantile Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Lee Building - 1907 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Rocky Mountain News (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denver.
 
Categories. Native AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Wynkoop Street RR Bridge looking north down Wynkoop Street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 28, 2016
3. Wynkoop Street RR Bridge looking north down Wynkoop Street.
Manny's Bridge marker above Wynkoop Street RR Bridge Marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 28, 2016
4. Manny's Bridge marker above Wynkoop Street RR Bridge Marker.
Due to the hard work of Emanuel "Manny" Salzman, the bridge was named Manny's Bridge in 2006.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 29, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement