Wharton in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wharton County Courthouse
A framed building (1848) and two-story brick building (1852) served as courthouses on Monterey Square until the county considered a new edifice in the 1880s. Judge W.J. Croom favored a new building, while A.H. "Shanghai" Pierce and G.C. Duncan led several landowners in signing a petition and filing injunctions to stop the county from proceeding. In 1888, the Commissioners Court ordered plans from Houston architect Eugene T. Heiner for a courthouse and jail. Heiner, a founding member of the Texas State Association of Architects in 1886, also designed Judge Croom's home (1895), Wharton Public School (1899), and other public, commercial and residential buildings in Texas.
Litigation delayed construction on the courthouse until November 1888. Completed in August 1889, it featured Second Empire and Italianate styling, including a mansard roof decorated with pediments, truncated roofs, limestone detailing, arched windows, corner quoins, and a tall central clock tower. The salmon-colored brick came from
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 18.612′ N, 96° 6.057′ W. Marker is in Wharton, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on West Burleson Street east of South Houston Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 S Fulton St, Wharton TX 77488, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 1.4 miles away); Kendleton (approx. 11.3 miles away); a different marker also named Kendleton (approx. 11.3 miles away); Powell Point School (approx. 12.7 miles away); El Campo (approx. 12.7 miles away); First National Bank of El Campo (approx. 12.8 miles away); Prairie Switch (approx. 12.8 miles away); El Campo Library Building (approx. 13 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2016, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.