Prairieville in Kaufman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Capt. Edward Thomas Broughton and the Johnson Guards
In early 1861 Broughton and other men in the area formed the Kaufman Light Infantry. The company mustered in Prairieville in Sept. 1861 with Captain Edward T. Broughton in command. After renaming their company the Johnson Guards for prominent local merchants John H. and Jasper W. Johnson, they joined Confederate Colonel John Gregg's 7th regiment of Texas Volunteers in Marshall, Texas, as part of Company C in late 1861.
Broughton was captured at Ft. Donelson, Tennessee, in February 1862. Later released in a prisoner exchange, he returned to the war and was again taken prisoner in 1863. Before his release in May 1864 Broughton suffered a debilitating illness. Although in poor health he rejoined the 7th Texas Regiment and for a brief period became acting commander.
Broughton moved to Sherman,
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9422.)
Location. 32° 28.783′ N, 96° 6.158′ W. Marker is in Prairieville, Texas, in Kaufman County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 90 and Gordon Lane, on the right when traveling east on Route 90. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11482 FM 90, Mabank TX 75147, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prairieville (a few steps from this marker); White Hall School (approx. 5 miles away); Lone Oak Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Fox Cemetery (approx. 5.7 miles away); Capt. Israel Spikes (approx. 5.7 miles away); Cedarvale Cemetery (approx. 7.1 miles away); Mabank (approx. 7.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Mabank (approx. 7.8 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Across the street from this marker.
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on August 1, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2016, by Rheba Bybee of Seagoville, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.