Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Frostburg in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The National Road

 
 
The National Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, July 29, 2016
1. The National Road Marker
Inscription. A trolley car and horse and buggy descend the old National Road at Eckhart Hill, just east of Frostburg. In 1806 construction of the Cumberland (National) Road was authorized by Congress. Its purpose was to connect the populated east and "navigable waters of the Atlantic" to the Ohio River. Construction began at Cumberland in 1811 and was completed to the Ohio River at Wheeling, Virginia (now West Virginia) in 1818, a distance of 132 miles. To a large extent it followed the earlier Nemacolin's Path and Braddock's Road. This section is the nation's first federally funded and designed road and "interstate highway". By the time the National Road opened through Frostburg in 1812, an early settler named Josiah Frost had lain off the town along its route and was offering building lots for sale. As the town grew, it became known as "Frost Town" after the 1812 founders, Meschach (Josiah's son) and Catherine Frost. Stagecoach service through Frostburg via the National Road began in 1818. Construction began on the National Road west of Wheeling in 1825, and proceeded to Vandalia, Illinois, its western terminus. In 1926, a national highway numbering system was established and the National Road was designated as part of U.S. Route 40. It is now known as Alternate Route 40. Dedicated on August 2, 1991, Interstate 68 parallels much of the original
The National Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, July 29, 2016
2. The National Road Marker
The Great Allegheny Passage trail is behind this marker, about a .3 mile walk away.
National Road through Maryland. The sender of this 1907 postcard writes, "Having a fine time in the 'burg. Marguerite."

[text with postcard image] From the collection of Albert and Angela Feldstein.
 
Location. 39° 39.505′ N, 78° 55.28′ W. Marker is in Frostburg, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker can be reached from Depot Street near New Hope Road. Touch for map. Marker is .2 miles east of the intersection, along the access path to the Great Allegheny Passage. Marker is in this post office area: Frostburg MD 21532, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Coal Mining (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frostburg (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Frostburg (about 400 feet away); Cumberland and Pennsylvania Railroad Depot (about 700 feet away); The Naming of Frostburg (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frost Graves (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Frostburg (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frostburg.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
The National Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, July 29, 2016
3. The National Road Marker
Looking up the access trail towards the intersection of Depot Street and New Hope Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2016, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2016, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement