Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founding Fort Worth
The barracks of the fort were first located at the present-day site of the Tarrant County Courthouse. The land was described by Simon Farrar as “the most beautiful and grand country the sun had ever shone on…in view of all advantages of a natural point of defense.” After learning that Major General Worth, a hero in the recent Mexican War, had passed away, it was relatively easy for Arnold to name the new post after him even though he never saw the place named in
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17361.)
Location. 32° 45.522′ N, 97° 20.229′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on North Taylor Street north of Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. This marker stands in Heritage Park, near Ripley Arnold Plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 360-398 North Taylor Street, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the First Masonic Hall in Fort Worth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Worth (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Site of Camp Worth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leonard Brothers Department Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1784 Tarrant County 1815 (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Worth's First Telephone Exchange (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
More about this marker. This marker was not originally built to be post-mounted. A custom post and mount was made for it.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.