Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarksville in Johnson County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Clarksville in the Civil War / Depredations

 
 
Clarksville in the Civil War Marker (Side 1) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 3, 2016
1. Clarksville in the Civil War Marker (Side 1)
Inscription.
Side 1
Clarksville in the Civil War

Clarksville was a key point in the defense of the Arkansas River Valley during the Civil War. Confederate troops occupied the town several times before Union forces took Little Rock and Ft. Smith, gaining control of the valley. Lt. Col. G.M. Waugh and men of the 2nd Arkansas Infantry (U.S.) used Clarksville as a base in early 1864 to fight guerrilla bands and Confederates cutting telegraph lines in the area. When Gen. J.O. Shelby’s Confederates crossed the river in May 1864, Waugh left, torching much of Clarksville, including the Methodist church.

Side 2
Depredations

On Feb. 20 1865, Union Jayhawkers raided the home of Lutetia Howell and Susan Willis in Johnson County’s Pittsburg community. They held the women’s legs in a bed of hot coals in an attempt to force them to tell if they had hidden money, then burned the house to the ground. Mrs. Howell was burned so badly that her leg had to be amputated. Other women in the area were also tortured and other houses burned. Union officials arrested deserters and soldiers from Kansas and Arkansas accused of taking part in the crimes, though none apparently were punished.
 
Erected 2015 by Arkansas
Depredations Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 3, 2016
2. Depredations Marker (Side 2)
Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, Johnson County Historical Society, Johnson County, Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council. (Marker Number 103.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission marker series.
 
Location. 35° 28.263′ N, 93° 27.908′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Arkansas, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 64) and South Fulton Street, on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. Located on the lawn of the Johnson County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 West Main Street, Clarksville AR 72830, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Johnson County First Anthracite Coal (here, next to this marker).
 
Categories. Notable EventsWar, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
 
Clarksville in the Civil War marker in front of Johnson County Courthouse. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 3, 2016
3. Clarksville in the Civil War marker in front of Johnson County Courthouse.
Depredations Marker looking down West Main Street. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 3, 2016
4. Depredations Marker looking down West Main Street.
Joseph Orville "Jo" Shelby image. Click for full size.
By Public domain
5. Joseph Orville "Jo" Shelby
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 3, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement