West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
For over 85 years, Evergreen Cemetery has been the final resting place of some of the City’s most influential black citizens, as well as a cross-section of many unnoted black citizens who contributed to the development of West Palm Beach. In 1913, a group of seven, identified as trustees and owners, had the Evergreen Cemetery laid out. The site had originally been part of Gale’s Lake Worth Plat No. 1. These original trustees and owners, joined by four others formed the Evergreen Cemetery Association in 1916, with M.J. Gildersleeve serving as president. Prior to the creation of this cemetery blacks had been buried in what was identified only as the “colored cemetery” on South Dixie Highway. Blacks were denied burial in Woodlawn Cemetery, the City's municipal cemetery until 1966. Among those buried in Evergreen Cemetery are Dr. T. Leroy Jefferson, the City’s first black physician; J.W. Mickens, an early educator; Henry Speed, a real estate investor; and Dr. J.R. Vickers (1879-1965), a physician. In 1981, the City Commission declared Evergreen Cemetery a site of local historical significance. The City of West Palm Beach acquired and assumed responsibility for Evergreen Cemetery in 1987.
Erected 1987 by The City of West Palm Beach and the Florida Department of State. (Marker
Location. 26° 44.295′ N, 80° 3.55′ W. Marker is in West Palm Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is on North Rosemary Avenue 0.1 miles north of 25th Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is on entry arch at the end of Rosemary Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2825 North Rosemary Avenue, West Palm Beach FL 33407, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hurricane of 1928 Mass Burial Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Northwood Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Duck's Nest (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bethesda-By-The-Sea (approx. 1.1 miles away); Former State of Florida Board of Health Laboratory c.1921 (approx. 1.4 miles away); 1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old St. Ann's Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Clematis Street Commercial Historic District (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Palm Beach.
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on August 9, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.