Vernon in Wilbarger County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 1, 1858
Organized October 10, 1881
Josiah and Mathias Wilbarger
brothers who came to Texas
Josiah, scalped by Indians
survived 11 years
Vernon, the county seat
Millions of cattle and horses were
driven north through this county
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 5809.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 34° 9.487′ N, 99° 19.228′ W. Marker is in Vernon, Texas, in Wilbarger County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of College Drive (U.S. 70) and Hospital Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in front of the Red River Valley Museum in a parking lot median. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4600 College Drive, Vernon TX 76384, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Great Western Trail (a few steps from this marker); Red River Valley Museum (a few steps from this marker); Waggoner-Hicks House W. D. Berry Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Vernon Drugstore (was approx. 2.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Wilbarger County WWI Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Early Wilbarger County (approx. 2.1 miles away); Napoleon 12 Pounder Bronze Field Gun Model 1857 (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vernon.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Wilbarger County. (Submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Government • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.