Vernon in Wilbarger County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Wilbarger County
Josiah, a surveyor, had become famous as the man who lived 12 years after being scalped by Comanches, 1833, near Austin. He had saved his life by putting a wool sock on his head; he was rescued next day by neighbors.
An adobe house built 1878 by Jonathan and C. F. Doan, the first Wilbarger County settlers, marks the Red River crossing of the famous Western Cattle Trail.
Vernon (formerly Eagle Flat) became county seat in 1881. The first railroad reached town, 1886.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1361.)
Location. 34° 9.179′ N, 99° 17.053′ W. Marker is in Vernon, Texas, in Wilbarger County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 183) and Wilbarger Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Located on the Wilbarger County Courthouse lawn. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1700 Wilbarger Street, Vernon TX 76384, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as Napoleon 12 Pounder Bronze Field Gun Model 1857 (here, next to this marker); Wilbarger County WWI Memorial (here, next to this marker); Vernon Texas Confederate Monument (here, next to this marker); Vernon Drugstore (was about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ); Thaddeus Edgar Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); W. D. Berry Home (approx. half a mile away); Waggoner-Hicks House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wilbarger County (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vernon.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Wilbarger County. (Submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Animals • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.