Henrietta in Clay County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created December 24, 1857
Organized August 6, 1860
Disorganized in 1862
because of Indian raids
Reorganized August 4, 1873
Henrietta, headquarters for
buffalo hunters until 1878
The first Hereford cattle in Texas
were brought to Clay County 1875
from Beecher, Illinois by
William S. Ikard
Original county seat Cambridge
moved to Henrietta 1874
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 910.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 48.887′ N, 98° 11.134′ W. Marker is in Henrietta, Texas, in Clay County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 82 and State Highway 510 Spur, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 82. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henrietta TX 76365, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cambridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Hereford Cattle in Texas (approx. 0.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article about Clay County. (Submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Animals • Government • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.