Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Palm Beach High School

Central Schools

 
 
Central Schools-Palm Beach High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 3, 2016
1. Central Schools-Palm Beach High School Marker
Inscription. In 1886, the first settlers on the Island of Palm Beach built a one room school which still stands on the island as the oldest school in southeast Florida. The students were transported by boat until the school closed in 1901 and was relocated in West Palm Beach. Other one room schools were established along the shores of Lake Worth. As the number of students increased in the schools, grades one to twelve, the need for a central school with a high school was established. In 1901, the school was opened on Dixie Highway between Clematis and Datura streets. Students were transported to the school by way of bus, train and boat. The high school was named Palm Beach High School and the first documented graduating class was 1907. The schools were moved to this site in 1908 and became known as “The School on the Hill.” One year later in 1909, Palm Beach County was founded and the prior school building in downtown West Palm Beach became the first county court house.

Palm Beach High School achieved recognition as one of the first high schools in the state of Florida. Recognition of its outstanding graduates, as well as the school’s accomplishments in the arts, athletics and academics are well documented at the Palm Beach High School Historical Museum. After the last graduating class in 1970, the school was renamed Twin Lakes
Central Schools-Palm Beach High School Marker, arch and school image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 3, 2016
2. Central Schools-Palm Beach High School Marker, arch and school
High School. The rich tradition of the school continued. After the closure of the high school in 1988, the buildings were restored in 1997 to be used as a school of the arts.
 
Erected 1998.
 
Location. 26° 42.518′ N, 80° 3.538′ W. Marker is in West Palm Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is at the intersection of South Sapodilla Avenue and Hibiscus Avenue, on the left when traveling north on South Sapodilla Avenue. Touch for map. Marker located on the entrance pillar to the Dreyfoos School of the Arts. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 South Sapodilla Avenue, West Palm Beach FL 33401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Palm Beach Junior College (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Seaboard Air Line Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clematis Street Commercial Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1916 Palm Beach County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old St. Ann's Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Grandview Heights Historic District (approx. 0.7 miles away); Flagler Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Former State of Florida Board of Health Laboratory c.1921 (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Palm Beach.
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement