Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fulton in Itawamba County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Cedars

 
 
The Cedars Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 4, 2016
1. The Cedars Marker
Inscription. Also known as the Cates~Gaither House, this one-story Greek Revival~style planters cottage was built in ca. 1859 by ship builder and merchant Pleasant Cates. The heavy framing includes original pegged joints. Named for the cedar trees on the original site, "The Cedars" was sold to William Gaither in 1901. The house was moved 110 feet west of its original location in 2012. One of the two antebellum houses in Fulton, The Cedars was designated a Mississippi Landmark in 2011.
 
Erected 2014 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 34° 16.389′ N, 88° 24.317′ W. Marker is in Fulton, Mississippi, in Itawamba County. Marker is on East Main Street 0.1 miles east of South Rose Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 East Main Street, Fulton MS 38843, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Church Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Aeolian Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jimmie Lunceford
The Cedars House image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 4, 2016
2. The Cedars House
Originally 110 feet further to the left of present position.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Fulton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Itawamba Community College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fulton Grammar School (approx. half a mile away); Underground Railroad Bicycle Route (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fawn Grove School (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fulton.
 
Also see . . .  Pleasant Cates and The Cedars: From The Settlers Magazine. (Submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USArchitectureLandmarksNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement