Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarendon in Donley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Funeral Business in Clarendon

 
 
Funeral Business in Clarendon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 22, 2016
1. Funeral Business in Clarendon Marker
Inscription. For more than a century, this site has been the location of a funeral home, a vital community business serving a widespread area of the Panhandle. Kentucky native Pleasant Andrew Buntin (1849-1941) brought his family to Texas in 1879, settling first in Mobeetie (Wheeler Co.). The Buntins moved to Clarendon in 1888 following the arrival of the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad. P.A. Buntin rode a mail route from there through Palo Duro Canyon and Schott Gap (Briscoe Co.) to the Caprock, changing wagons and horses to make the 60-mile round trip in a single day. Buntin also operated a dairy, and he was a charter member of the Methodist church and the Masonic lodge in Clarendon.

At this site in 1899, Buntin established a funeral home, one of the earliest in the Texas Panhandle. He and his wife, Lucy Jane (Gibbs), had four children, and their youngest son Fred continued in the family business. Fred attended Clarendon College and the Dallas School of Embalming, and joined his father's company in 1919. The business territory covered several counties, and notable early burials conducted by the family included pioneer ranchers Charles and Mary Ann (Dyer) Goodnight in the 1920s. During World War II, the civic-minded Buntin Funeral Home provided military service plaques—with blue stars for active personnel and gold stars for casualties—for
Location of Robinson Funeral Directors in Clarendon. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 22, 2016
2. Location of Robinson Funeral Directors in Clarendon.
families to display in the windows of their homes.

The Buntins sold the business in 1945, although the family name remained in use with others for several years. A number of families have since been associated with the historic operation, including, from 1977, the Robertsons, who for a short time owned another funeral parlor in Clarendon.
 
Erected 2007 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13942.)
 
Location. 34° 56.272′ N, 100° 53.382′ W. Marker is in Clarendon, Texas, in Donley County. Marker is at the intersection of Sully Street and East 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south on Sully Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 Sully Street, Clarendon TX 79226, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stockton P. Donley (within shouting distance of this marker); Donley County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church of St. John Baptist (about 600 feet away); The Clarendon News (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Clarendon (approx. 0.2 miles away); S. W. Lowe House
Funeral Business in Clarendon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 16, 2016
3. Funeral Business in Clarendon Marker
(approx. mile away); St. Stephen's Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarendon.
 
Also see . . .  Robertson Funeral Directors history. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWar, World II
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.   3. submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
Paid Advertisement