Delray Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
City of Delray Beach
• 1895 School No. 4 Delray Colored, located at this site
• 1896 Greater Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church, 40 Northwest Fourth Avenue
• 1897 St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church, 119 Northwest Fifth Avenue
• 1899 Free and Accepted Masons, Lodge 275, 85 Northwest Fifth Avenue
• 1911 St. Matthew Episcopal Church, 404 Southwest Third Street
Late in the 19th century, a group of black settlers established a community in this area that became part of the Town of Linton and later the City of Delray Beach. These hardy pioneers established the cultural organization necessary to foster education, fellowship and spiritual needs, despite difficult environmental conditions and isolation.
Erected 1990 by The Delray Beach Historic Preservation Board.
Location. 26° 27.78′ N, 80° 4.687′ W. Marker is in Delray Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is on Northwest 5th Avenue 0.1 miles north of West Atlantic Avenue (State Road 806), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Delray Beach FL 33444, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Delray History (here, next to this marker); West Settlers Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named West Settlers Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cason Cottage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Florida East Coast Railway Station (approx. half a mile away); Old School Square Historic District (approx. half a mile away); Del-Ida Park Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away); Marina Historic District (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delray Beach.
Categories. • African Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.