Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarksville in Red River County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Members of Confederate Congresses

Texas in the Civil War

 
 
Members of Confederate Congresses Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
1. Members of Confederate Congresses Marker
Inscription. During the 4 years, 4 months after secession, Texas sent 18 lawmakers to the Confederate capitols. Her delegates to the Provisional Congress, Feb. 1861 to Feb. 1862, were John R. Gregg, Freestone County; John Hemphill, Travis County; Wm. B. Ochiltree, Nacogdoches County; Williamson S. Oldham, Washington County; John H. Reagan, Anderson County; Thomas N. Waul, Gonzales County; and Louis T. Wigfall, Harrison County. Texans in the first Confederate States Congress, Feb. 1862-Feb. 1864, were B. H. Epperson of Red River County; M. D. Graham, Rusk County; Peter W. Gray, Harris County; Claiborne C. Herbert, Colorado County; Frank B. Sexton, San Augustine County; John A. Wilcox, Bexar County; and Wm. B. Wright, Lamar County. Oldham and Wigfall served as senators, 1862-1865. Herbert and Sexton were re-elected to the Second Confederate Congress, in 1864. Their colleagues were Gen. John R. Baylor, Parker County; Anthony M. Branch, Walker County; Stephen H. Darden, Gonzales County; and Simpson H. Morgan, Red River County. Several congressmen left the legislative branch of the government for the battlefield, two becoming generals. Others left for presidential assignments-- one, Reagan, to be postmaster-general in the cabinet.
 
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10871.)
View of marker looking towards Locust Street (marker on right). image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
2. View of marker looking towards Locust Street (marker on right).

 
Location. 33° 36.68′ N, 95° 3.008′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Texas, in Red River County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Locust Street and Main Street (Business U.S. 82). Touch for map. Located in the town square, former location of the courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 Locust Street, Clarksville TX 75426, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Five Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence from Red River County (here, next to this marker); Stagecoach Stand, C. S. A. (a few steps from this marker); The Rev. William Stevenson (a few steps from this marker); Home of Col. Charles DeMorse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Northern Standard (about 600 feet away); Red River County War Memorial (about 700 feet away); Red River Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Red River County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksville.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the Confederate Congress. (Submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. GovernmentPoliticsWar, US Civil
 
Confederate statue in town square with this marker on left foreground. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
3. Confederate statue in town square with this marker on left foreground.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Clearer photo of marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement